Sanford Bemidji Medical Center Volunteering
SANFORD BEMIDJI Volunteering
Volunteers at Sanford Bemidji help with patient services such as the coffee cart, baby photos, and flower and mail delivery. Often, volunteers do a variety of tasks to assist many different departments, such as: copying materials, stuffing envelopes, folding, filing, and sorting. In addition, volunteers perform many public relations services by managing the Gift Shop, conducting grade school and other tours, and assisting visitors and patients at the Information Desks.
We require that:
• Volunteers are at least 16 years old. Some positions require a minimum age of 18 years old.
• Able to communicate clearly in English.
• We cannot accept volunteers who are meeting court-mandated community service hours.
We require that before volunteering, a prospective volunteer must complete the following:
• Application – filled out either on-line or on paper
• Health Screening
• Two Mantoux tests (to check for tuberculosis or exposure to tuberculosis) administered by Sanford Bemidji’s Employee Health department. The test is administered and read 48-72 hours later. Two to four weeks later, the test is administered again and read 48-72 hours later. We do the test twice to rule out a false positive or negative result.
• Immunity to Mumps/Measles/Rubella (MMR) and Varicella
• Criminal Background Check
• Confidential References – two names (non-family) submitted on application.
• Orientation – must attend an orientation meeting. Contact the Volunteer Office for the date of the next Orientation – (218) 333-5654. All orientation sessions take place in the Education Center. Please use the East Entrance of the Medical Center. An East Desk volunteer will direct you to the meeting room.
Our patients and families deserve the very best. We need people who:
• Display competency (can learn the position and remember the details).
• Are compassionate (understand the stress of a hospitalization).
• Defend a patient's right to privacy (our volunteers are held to a strict code of confidentiality).
• Are respectful (we serve all walks of life, economic status and an increasingly diverse population).
If the applicant has the interests, skills, and temperament to meet the needs of Sanford Bemidji, a placement is made pending availability. If a placement is not available immediately, the volunteer is notified at a later date when one is available.