Sanford Bemidji Medical Center Volunteer FAQs
- What is the definition of a volunteer?
- How old do I have to be to volunteer?
- Can I volunteer for a total of only 10-15 hours?
- Will volunteering help me secure a paid job with SBMC?
- Can I begin volunteering tomorrow?
- Can I volunteer in more than one area?
- What if I am going on vacation or otherwise need to take time from my regular volunteering schedule?
- What if I don’t like my assigned volunteer opportunity?
- What are the benefits of volunteering?
- Where do I park when I am volunteering?
- I want to volunteer. What do I do now?
What is the definition of a volunteer?
A volunteer is a special person who gives freely of their talents and time without being paid for their efforts.
How old do I have to be to volunteer?
The minimum age to volunteer at Sanford Bemidji Medical Center is 14 years old.
Can I volunteer for a total of only 10-15 hours?
No, we require at least 2-4 hours per week commitment from all of our volunteers.
Will volunteering help me secure a paid job with Sanford Health of Northern Minnesota?
No, volunteering is not a way of guaranteeing that you will get a paid position at our organization.
Can I begin volunteering tomorrow?
No, in order to volunteer you will need to meet with the Volunteer Coordinator for an interview and orientation. First you will need to fill out an application, clear our background check, and pass a Mantoux test (to check for tuberculosis).
Can I volunteer in more than one area?
Yes, you can volunteer in as many areas as your and our schedule allows.
What if I am going on vacation or otherwise need to take time from my regular volunteering schedule?
All volunteers are required to notify the Volunteer Service office, as well as their department, of any days or weeks that they will be unable to volunteer.
(Return to top)
What if I don’t like my assigned volunteer opportunity?
We want you to be happy while volunteering. Please speak with Kari or Cindi and we will find you a new placement.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
As a volunteer, you'll know that you are making a difference in the lives of our patients, visitors, and staff at Sanford Bemidji Medical Center. You’ll also enjoy: being a part of the SBMC team; receiving complimentary meals and snacks; receiving recognition; attending educational and training opportunities; and of course, socializing, networking, and meeting new friends. For more information, see our benefits page.
Where do I park when I am volunteering?
Volunteers can park in any of our visitor parking lots.