Sanford Bemidji Children's Therapy
Providing children and families the tools necessary to function in their homes and communities
Our children’s therapy team is comprised of experienced speech language pathologists and physical and occupational therapists who provide specialized services to meet the rehabilitation needs of individuals newborn to age 21. Doctors and therapists, along with input from family, identify goals and intensity of therapy. Services include occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, and hand therapy.
Our children’s therapists have experience in the evaluation and treatment of children diagnosed with, but not limited to:
• Autism Spectrum Disorders
• Genetic Chromosomal conditions
• Cerebral Palsy
• Down’s Syndrome
• Torticollis / Plagiocephaly
• Neurological disorders
• Spinal cord injuries
• Traumatic Brain Injury
• Muscular Dystrophy
• Spina Bifida
Physical therapists work closely with children who have delays in the following:
• Developmental motor milestones
• Problems with balance or strength
• Genetic disorders that interfere with their ability to move or function within their environment
• Vestibular problems (equilibrium)
Occupational therapists specialize in evaluation and treatment to help children develop the following:
• Fine motor skills
• Sensory processing
• Daily living and self-care skills
• Visual / perceptual integration
• Social-emotional and self regulation skills
• Vestibular / motor skills
• Feeding / oral motor skills
Speech therapists work with children on the following:
• Phonological processes
• Voice quality
• Cleft lip and/or palate
• Feeding and swallowing disorders
• Autism spectrum disorders
In addition to providing direct one-on-one therapy to children with speech and language delays, therapists also may use the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS).
What happens upon referral?
When a child is referred for an evaluation, he/she will receive a comprehensive evaluation from one or more of our experienced therapists.
A plan of care will be developed with specific goals targeting the child’s need in each specialty area. The therapists collaborate closely with each other, providing a true interdisciplinary approach to treatment.
Often home programs are created to complement the therapy the child receives at Sanford Children’s Therapy. The program is reviewed with caregivers and updated as the child makes progress towards his/her goals.
The ultimate goal of therapy is to provide the child and family with the tools needed to reach the highest potential in both the home and community. The activities and programming ideas the child will learn during therapy make this possible.
Sanford Children’s Therapy is located within the Sanford Bemidji Orthopedics & Sports Medicine center. The therapy area includes:
• Private children’s gym with a climbing wall, play loft and an assortment of child-sized toys and equipment
• Three private treatment rooms
• Secure, fenced-in outdoor play area with a Rainbow Play Gym
• Access to the therapeutic pool
Sanford Bemidji Children’s Therapy
1300 Anne St. NW
Bemidji, MN 56601
Phone: (218) 333-5898
Fax: (218) 333-5766
For additional information on Sanford Children's, visit: Sanford Health Children's.