Outpatient Surgery Tips
Sanford Health's Outpatient Surgery program, sometimes called Same Day Surgery, is a service offered to those patients in the community who require minor surgical treatment that does not require an overnight hospital stay.
In order to make your stay as short and as comfortable as possible, these instructions have been prepared for your convenience.
- Your surgeon may ask that you see your regular medical doctor for a physical exam prior to your admission.
- You are encouraged to contact your doctor’s office or an outpatient surgery nurse with your questions regarding your hospitalization. To contact outpatient surgery call (218) 333-5772.
- Financial arrangements relating to the cost of your procedure should be made prior to the day of surgery to avoid any delay. For your convenience, we do accept personal checks, MasterCard, VISA, and Discover. If you have any questions relating to payment arrangements, please call our business office at (218) 333-5827.
- One of the pre-anesthesia screening nurses will call you the day before your surgery to notify you of your scheduled surgery time and the time you should arrive at the hospital. If you will not be home, please call (218) 333-5772 late in the afternoon the day before your surgery to find out your scheduled times.
The Night before Surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery, or as instructed by the pre-anesthesia screening nurse. This includes water, coffee, any other fluids, hard candy, chewing gum, and tobacco. If you do eat or drink, your surgery will be delayed or cancelled and rescheduled for another time.
- The pre-anesthesia screening nurse will review your medications with you, and will instruct you about which medication(s) you should take before your surgery.
The Day of Surgery
- When you arrive at Sanford Health, check in at the west Admissions desk (ER entrance) or the second floor reception desk at the Surgery Center. After you register, you will be escorted to the outpatient surgery unit where we will prepare you for surgery.
- Please remove all nail polish. Wear glasses instead of contact lenses, if possible. Do not bring jewelry, large sums of money, or other valuables with you to the hospital.
- Simple clothing (such as a sweat suit) is easiest to manage.
- You may have visitors, but please limit them to one or two. If a child is present as a visitor, there must be a responsible adult to care for him/her.
- You will return to the outpatient surgery unit where you will stay for 1-4 hours. During this time, your nurse will check your vital signs (heart, blood pressure, pulse, etc.), give you fluids to drink, help you move and walk around, and give you instructions for after surgery and any prescriptions your surgeon ordered.
- You must make arrangements with a responsible adult who can drive you home upon discharge. It is recommended that a responsible adult be present with you at home for the first 24 hours following surgery.
- Do not drive, use hazardous tools or equipment, or make important decisions for 24 hours after your surgery.
If you have any questions regarding your surgery stay, please call Sanford Health's Outpatient Surgery, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at (218) 333-5772, or Sanford Bemidji Same Day Surgery Center at (218) 333-4500.